Good Friday, April 22: Social Justice Stations of the Cross
Join the New Sanctuary Coalition of NYC as we participate in a Social Justice Stations of the Cross pilgrimage around Greenwich Village with members of Judson Memorial Church. New Sanctuary will be one of the stations, along with ROC-NY, CONNECT-NY, the Poverty Initiative and stations set up for earth, food and economic justice, Stonewall, and the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire Building.
Each station will open up space for a “modern testimony” of the suffering and death of Jesus witnessed today. Tying Judson’s legacy of justice with Judson’s tradition of theater and art, you will participate in public ministry simply by being present.
1. Washington Square Park | Jesus is condemned to death | Poverty Initiative
2. Babbo Restaurant | Jesus is given his cross | ROC NY
3. University Pl. & Washington Sq. E. | Jesus meets the women | CONNECT
4. Starbucks | Simon of Cyrene carries the cross | Food Justice
5. Triangle Shirtwaist Fire Site | Jesus is stripped of his garments | Sweatshop Workers
6. Judson Fountain | Jesus is crucified | New Sanctuary Coalition of NYC
7. McDonald’s | Jesus dies | Homophobia
8. Judson Church | Jesus is laid in the tomb | Earth Justice
When: Friday, April 22 at 6pm
Where: Center Fountain in Washington Square Park